Next다음 문서

크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄 첨부
?

단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄 첨부

안녕하세요?

사과의 말씀을 드려야 할 것 같네요. 어제 수업시간에 여러번 전화를 받아서 죄송합니다. 중요한 전화를 기다리고 있었습니다. 

다름이 아니라, 지난 금요일에 제 아내가 가슴 양쪽에 유방암 진단 조직검사를 했습니다. 2년 전에 유방암으로 발전될 수 있는 증상(DCIS)이 왼쪽 가슴에 발견되어, 제거 수술을 받았습니다 (DCIS는 암이 아니라는 의사들도 있고 암이라는 의사들도 있습니다). 수술 후 매 6개월마다 정기 정밀 검사를 해 왔는데, 올 봄에는 좀 더 정밀하게 해 보라는 의사의 권고가 있어서 MRI를 했는데, 양쪽 가슴에서 뭔가 발견되었습니다. 그래서, 그것이 무엇인지를 알기 위해서 조직검사를 했고, 그 결과를 기다리고 있는 중입니다. 본래, 평소에는 수업이 시작되면 아내의 핸드폰으로 제 전화가 포워딩 되도록 하는데, 그런 전화를 직접 받게 하는게 좋지 않을 것 같아서 어제는 하지 않았습니다. 아직도 결과 통보는 받지 못했습니다. 집에 와서 생각해 보니, 치명적인 유방암을 이겨내신 분도 계시고, 또 다른 암이나 혹은 다른 치명적인 병을 겪었거나 겪고 계신 분들도 계신데, 그렇게 수업시간에 약간 수선을 부린 것 같아 죄송한 마음을 막을 수 없었습니다. 좋은 선생이 되려면 좀 더 자신에 대해 강해져야겠다는 생각을 하게 됩니다. 여하튼 모두 이해해 주셔서 감사드립니다. 

장민구 올림.

자 그럼 수업 자료를 시작하겠습니다. 

오늘은 전체 강의를 다 들으시면 됩니다. 리스닝 부분에 원음 파일을 갖다 붙여서 음질이 좋습니다. 진작에 이렇게 했어야 했는데, 이제 이 방법을 생각해 냈네요. 하지만 나로 발전해 가니 좋습니다. 

강의 듣기

리스닝

연설 영상 보기

*리스닝 내용을 프린트 하실 분은 다운로드 하셔서 프린트 하시면 됩니다: 다운로드

The wisest person I ever met in my life, a third-grade dropout. 

“Wisest” and “dropout” in the same sentence is rather oxymoronic, like jumbo shrimp, mmm, like fun run, it ain’t nothing fun about it, like Microsoft Works, y’all don’t hear me. I used to say I like country music but I lived in Texas so long and I love country music now. I hunt, I fish, I have cowboy boots, and cowboy …. Y’all, I’m a black neck redneck. Do you hear what I’m saying to you? No longer oxymoronic for me to say country music and it’s not oxymoronic for me to say third grade and dropout. 

That third-grade dropout, the wisest person I ever met in my life, who taught me to combine knowledge and wisdom to make an impact, was my father. Simple cook, the wisest man I ever met in my life, just a simple cook, left school in the third grade to help out on the family farm. But just because he left school, that doesn’t mean education stopped. Mark Twain once said, “I never allowed my schooling to get in the way of my education.” My father taught himself how to read and taught himself how to write.

Decided in the midst of Jim Crowism, as America was breathing the last gasp of the Civil War, my father decided he was going to stand and be a man—not a black man, not a white man, not a brown man, but a man. He literally challenged himself to be the best that he could all the days of his life. I have four degrees, my brother is a judge, (but) we’re not the smartest ones in our family, (but) the third-grade dropout daddy. A third-grade dropout daddy, who was quoting Michael Angelo, saying to us, “Boys, I won’t have a problem if you aim high and miss, but I have a real issue if you aim low and hit.” A country mother quoting Henry Ford, saying, “If you think you can or if you think you can’t, you’re right.”

I learned that from a third-grade dropout, simple lessons, lessons like these:

“Son, you’d rather be an hour early than a minute late.” We never knew what time it was at my house because the clocks were always ahead. My mother said for nearly 30 years my father left the house at 3:45 in the morning. One day she asked him, “Why, Daddy?” He said, “One of my boys will catch me in the act of excellence.” 

I want to share two things with you. Aristotle said you are what you repeatedly do. Therefore, excellence ought to be a habit, not an act. Don’t ever forget that. I know you’re tough but always remember to be kind. Always. Don’t ever forget that. Never embarrass mama. Mmm. If mommy ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy. If daddy ain’t happy, don’t nobody care but you know …. I tell you. 

Next lesson, a lesson from a cook over there in the galley: “Son, make sure your servant towel is bigger than your ego.” Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity. Y’all have a relative in mind you want to send that to. Let me say it again. Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity. Pride is the burden of the foolish person. John Wooden coached basketball in UCLA for a living, but his calling was to impact people. And with all those national championships, guess what he was found doing in the middle of the week. Going into the cupboard, grabbing a broom and sweeping his own gym floor. Do you want to make an impact? Find your broom. Everyday of your life, you find your broom. You grow your influence that way. That way you’re attracting people so that you can impact them.

Final lesson: “Son, if you’re going to do a job, do it right.” I’ve always been told how average I can be, always been criticized being average. But I want to tell you something. I stand here before you, before all of these people, not listening to those words, but telling myself every single day, to shoot for the stars to be the best I can be. Good enough isn’t good enough if it can be better, and better isn’t good enough if it can be best.

Singing-up

가수 노래듣기

• Have I told you lately that I love you
  • 사     랑 한    다    언제    말 했  던   가   
  • Have I told you there's no one else above you
  • 당     신 이    최    고        란    말    했    었 던   가
  • You fill my heart with gladness,
  •     기쁨  은    채     워       주 고 
  • Take away all my sadness,
  • 슬픔    은     비  워     주  며
  • Ease my troubles, that's what you do.
  • 나       를    살  게        하     는     당   신

• Oh, The morning sun in all its glory
  • 아     침     햇 살      같  은 미  소   로
  • Greets the day with hope and comfort too.
  • 희         망   과     용     기    를     비    추   며
  • You fill my life with laughter,
  • 날   미  소  짓    게    하  고
  • Somehow you make it better,
  •     마  음      을    밝   혀  주 며
  • Ease my troubles that's what you do.
  • 나      를    살  게       하      는     당   신

• There's a love that's divine
  • 하         늘  이     준      사  랑
  • And it's yours and it's mine
  • 해     처    럼     빛    나    는
  • Like the sun.
  • 그     사   랑
  • And at the end of the day
  •       하   루   를  마  칠   때     
  • We should give thanks and pray to the One, to the One.
  • 감      사      의       기       도    를    드  리   리    드   리   리 

• Have I told you lately that I love you
  • 사     랑 한    다    언제    말 했  던   가   
  • Have I told you there's no one else above you
  • 당     신 이    최    고        란    말    했    었 던   가
  • You fill my heart with gladness,
  •     기쁨  은    채     워       주 고 
  • Take away all my sadness,
  • 슬픔    은     비  워     주  며
  • Ease my troubles, that's what you do.
  • 나       를    살  게        하     는     당   신

1. 2022년 봄학기 개강 안내

Date2022.01.07 By장민구 Views458
    read more
  2. 리딩 문법 교실 제3강

Date2019.11.01 By장민구 Views137
    Read More
  3. 제19강 강의자료

Date2019.10.31 By장민구 Views283
    Read More
  4. 제18강 강의자료

Date2019.10.26 By장민구 Views207
    Read More
  5. 리딩/문법 강의 제2강

Date2019.10.25 By장민구 Views214
    Read More
  6. 제17강 강의자료

Date2019.10.24 By장민구 Views195
    Read More
  7. 제16강 강의자료

Date2019.10.19 By장민구 Views455
    Read More
  8. 제1강 리딩 문법 강의

Date2019.10.18 By장민구 Views534
    Read More
  9. 제15강 강의자료

Date2019.10.17 By장민구 Views1379
    Read More
  10. 제14강 강의자료

Date2019.10.11 By장민구 Views304
    Read More
  11. 제13강 강의자료

Date2019.10.09 By장민구 Views289
    Read More
  12. 블루트리 독해/문법 교실 개강 (칼럼: 애매한 영어실력 어찌하나 (2))

Date2019.10.05 By장민구 Views279
    Read More
  13. 제12강 강의자료

Date2019.10.04 By장민구 Views386
    Read More
  14. 제11강 강의자료

Date2019.10.02 By장민구 Views249
    Read More
  15. 제10강 강의자료

Date2019.09.27 By장민구 Views374
    Read More
  16. 제9강 강의자료